Functional Form

Avoiding side-effects since 2004.

Thursday, February 10, 2005

You're In Atari Biatch!

I was introduced to a really interesting and potentially addicting game this evening. Go. It's so open-ended and yet really strategic... way more interesting to me than Chess has ever been, just because it feels like there's a lot more room for creativity. Annie Mermaid and I played at a little coffee shop in Santa Monica called the Unurban Cafe, which had a really cool crowd. I think I will be going there more often... beginner night with the Santa Monica Go Club is on Tuesdays.

I started on my mountains of backlogged EE 457 homework tonight, which involves programming in MIPS assembly code. I am just getting the hang of it, since the only assembly I've ever done is for the Motorola 68000, and that was a while ago. It's amazing using such an imperative style after the pure expressive nature of all the Lisp programming I have been doing lately... it's like the opposite end of the spectrum, and I thank God that compilers take care of it in most every practical situation. But still, it's reasonably amusing as a small game. I hope they let me turn in all of this homework late.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home