Functional Form

Avoiding side-effects since 2004.

Thursday, April 06, 2006

The girls and boys met.

After two semantics lectures, I am very happy that I'm taking this course. We're delving pretty deeply into the treatment of plural quantification, and it's intensely stimulating. The tool we're employing in our analyses is mereology, the proposal that groups of individuals can themselves be treated as individuals of type E. This extension of our ontology seems very natural to me, and it's right in line with Jerry Hobbs' advocacy of ontological promiscuity, in which anything that can be expressed in language can be represented as an object in the conceptual model. I'm gaining ever-increasing respect for the foundation Hobbs offered me in approaching these issues. The more I learn about other people's ideas, the more Jerry's impress me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home